About L. A. Smith
Statement from 1946 showing the Octagon/Nogatco brand
L. A. Smith was established in 1857 in Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, in East London.
During the 1850s and 60s, the business grew to be one of London's leading manufacturers of shirts, ties and cravats. It was also an innovator, including registering the trademark "Nogatco" (the word 'octagon' backwards) for the original Mr Lloyd's invention of an octagonal silk cravat that could be folded different ways to show eight different designs for the cost conscious.
Over the years, the business has moved - with much of the rest of the UK's clothing trade - first out of London, then to Northern Ireland, then to South Wales.
In the 1970s and 1980s, the business dropped its historic name and was known simply as Lloyd Menswear, and in the early-1980s, the last Lloyd family members sold the business to a conglomerate called Tern. Sadly, Tern couldn't make the business successful, and through the 1980s Lloyd drifted and lost money.
In 1987, The Roberto Group, one of the UK's leading suppliers of ties and menswear, acquired the Lloyd Menswear business, then as now based in Nantyglo in South Wales.
Since then, L. A. Smith (as the brand is now called) has gone from strength to strength... never losing its focus on ties and shirts, but adding many further product lines to the range.
Today, L. A. Smith is a trusted brand among independent menswear retailers and in the new world of online menswear sales.